Hide and Seek


June 6, 2012 -

   Derrick's deployment is something that I really haven't been talking about very much. Denial? Probably a little. But mostly, I think it just doesn't feel like it should be here yet. I still think of it as something that we will deal with when it comes up. But the truth is, it's coming up awfully fast. He leaves in about 3 months and I suppose it's time to start preparing! Playing hide and seek in the house is no special occasion, we probably play it once a week at least because it's hilarious and the kids get a huge kick out of it. Derrick and I always start out with really goofy hiding places that will make each other laugh, and make the kids laugh, like pretending to be a stuffed animal, or sitting in the bathtub. But as time goes on, our competitiveness always sneaks into the game and we find the hardest, most insane places to hide, just to stump each other.
   So far I hold the title of awesome places, I squeezed myself in the tiny gap between the refrigerator and the wall where we keep the broom. I knew it would be great for my self esteem if I could cram myself in there, and I could....with the exception of my boobies and my nose. The boob thing is a problem most girls would love to have, so I feel bad complaining (and the nose.....that's just life, I have learned to love it)....but believe me, there is a big difference between being able to HIDE between the wall and the fridge, and being STUCK between the wall and the fridge! I was in pain. And because of that pain, I was not letting out a peep! It had to be worth it, and stump the family or else I would just be a girl who had a fantasy moment pretending she could fit into a broom hole.
   I was stuck there for half an hour! They had searched the house high and low and couldn't find momma. It was great :) Finally Derrick spotted me, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't start making little noises to speed up the process. He'll tell you it was "instinct", but I totally gave myself away.
   Anyway! My point here was to talk about how great it is to spend time with him, and how I need to wake up and smell the roses. Admit that the deployment is coming, and cherish every moment that the kids and I get to spend with him! We don't want to see him go for another year, we don't want to have birthday parties without him, or the Holidays. It's not going to be a fun time, but there is a bright side I guess, and that would be that we have done it before. The shock will (hopefully) be a little less this time around, and I already know I have the strength to get through the next year without him physically being home. Until then, hooray for daddy pretending to be a stuffed animal :)

1 comment:

  1. We can be in denial together :) Anthony and I used to play hide and seek with Sean (there's no room here :( ) and one time, he managed to cram himself on the very top shelf in one of the hallway closets. It took us forever to find him LOL!!

    ReplyDelete