Resolutions


December 30th...
Today I got a head start on my New Year's Resolution. I am hoping that since I started early, I might actually keep it...who knows though! I'm not the best at making changes and sticking to them. I have been in quite the funk for a good chunk of this deployment and it's probably due to the fact that I am so ready for it to be over! I am ready to have my husband back so I can quit telling myself "Eh, that'll be easier when Derrick is home...I'll just deal with it then" Things like laundry and dishes are not going to wait until he is home to help me wash them, so boycotting really doesn't do anything but make my chore list longer and more dreadful. So, as a start to my new year (and the end of this one) I decided to put us on a schedule! It's nothing set in stone, I just split up our day hour by hour and figured what would be the most useful, healthy and realistic way to spend our time. I even designated certain "hours" when the TV when be on, and when it will be off. This morning was my first test to try it out, and I am PROUD to say, I stuck with it! When Cael came into my room and woke me up at 6:30 this morning, I didn't put in a movie for him and go back to sleep like I really, really wanted to. Instead, I put a movie on for him, and jumped in the shower. By 7 Averi was awake, and that was perfectly OK because so was I! We all got dressed and had breakfast and then it was on to my first chunk of "chores." I had put on the schedule that from 8-9 I would wash any dishes, start and fold whatever laundry needed it, and vacuum...and you better believe at 7:59 I was sitting on the couch trying to stop the clock with my mind! I did it though, I got up, turned the TV off (yep, off!) and did all three of those things. And the best part? The kids were fine with it!! Cael played in his room the whole time, while Averi bounced back and forth between helping me put the dishes in the dishwasher (and then back out again) and playing with her toys. It was pretty amazing, I must say, and it really set the pace for the rest of the day!
Grocery shopping, lunch, and naptime were pretty straightforward, no big changes there. But after naps, that was a biggie. As soon as both kids were awake, I let Cael pick out a movie to keep them busy while I cleaned both bathrooms! I know! What an accomplishment! Normally, I will clean one...maybe half way...and then say I will clean the other one the next day. Or week. I'm pretty bad, I know. But I did it today, because it was on the schedule :) After that we played, I cooked dinner, we ate, bathed, and now the kids are sleeping soundly!
It feel like a million bucks tonight! But I can already tell, I really don't want to get up at 6:30 again...

No comments:

Post a Comment